Fitness Friday: High Intensity Jump Rope Interval TrainingApril 2, 2016
H3 Vegetable Stir FryApril 2, 2016
Biking is awesome exercise but you should be properly prepared before you start pedaling this summer. Use these tips and benefits so you can bike like a pro!
1. Pre-ride Checklist:
- Check your tire pressure.
- Seat Height – when standing on the ground, your seat should be at your hip height. When sitting on your bike, the leg which is extended should have a soft knee (not completely straight but not too bent either).
- Fill your water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Make sure you have a blinker/reflector if you’re riding at night.
- Wear bright/neon clothing on dark or rainy days.
- Plan your route before you start riding.
- Wearing headphones/earbuds is highly not recommended.
2. Sitting Properly:
- Practice good posture – sit up straight and remember to not slump over the handle bars.
- Knees should bend with your knee caps facing forward, not out to the sides.
- Knees should never hyperextend, always keep a slight bend at full extension.
3. Riding Etiquette:
- Ride in the same direction of traffic.
- If there is a bike lane, USE IT.
- Use signals to indicate turns and stops.
- Follow all traffic signals.
- Always pass on the left, and verbally communicate when passing: “coming up on your left” or “passing on your left”.
- Be predictable. Make drivers, other bikers and pedestrians aware of your actions.
- Give yourself space between other bikers, pedestrians, and cars.
4. Benefits of biking:
- Strengthens your quads, hamstrings, calves and abdominals.
- Low impact exercise with less wear and tear on your joints.
- Get great exercise and take some time for yourself while riding to and from work!
- Increase energy AND boost endorphins!
- Biking is a cardio workout, therefore, strengthening the heart and improving oxygen exchange to the whole body.
Get out and RIDE!! Enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful environment around you!