by Healthy Kitchen Chef Carrie Adams
The H3 Healthy Kitchen Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Skewer combines fresh summer vegetables, juicy chicken and a delicious Kale pesto. You can even mix it but by using other proteins, like beef or shrimp and different vegetables like eggplant.
2 each Chicken breast (4 ounces), large dice
½ each Yellow bell pepper, large dice
8 each Cherry tomato
½ cup Zucchini, skin on, large dice
4 each 8-inch wooden or metal skewer
1 bunch Kale, stems and ribs removed
½ bunch Flat leaf parsley, chopped
3 Tablespoons Pine nuts, toasted
1 each Garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice, fresh
Pinch Red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Preheat grill and oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Wash and roughly chop the kale. Blanch the kale in the boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Remove the kale from water and strain, press water from the leaves.
- Add parsley, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt into a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped then scrape down the edges.
- Transfer drained kale into the food processor. While the processor is on, slowly add oil in a steady stream.
- If the kale mixture is too thick, thin it out by adding water. Pulse until desired texture is achieved.
- Soak wooden skewers overnight in water.
- Mix vegetables and chicken with ¼ cup pesto, massaging the pesto all over these ingredients.
- Skewer alternating chicken and vegetables on each of the four skewers.
- Mark on the grill, rotating to each side after 1 minute (4 minutes total on the grill).
- Place on a greased sheet pan and cook in oven 7-10 minutes or until chicken has reached 160 degrees F, checking with a meat probe.
- Let it rest 3-5 minutes so they can carry over and cook to 165 degrees F.
Serving Size: 1 skewer
Fat: 3.5 grams