Wellness Wednesday: POWER OF PERCEPTIONApril 2, 2016
Coaches Corner: A Letter to Family and FriendsApril 2, 2016
6 each Eggs
1 ½ c. Egg substitute
¼ c. Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. Salt
4 oz. Fontina Cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tsp. Olive oil
1 small Red onion, diced
4 oz. Canadian Ham/bacon, low sodium
12 oz. Heirloom tomatoes/conventional tomatoes, cut into ½ inch slices
1 ½ T. Basil, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Fold in fontina cheese; set aside.
- In the deep half of the frittata pan over medium heat, warm 1 tsp. of olive oil. Add diced red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add the egg mixture and cook, using a rubber spatula to lift the cooked edges and allow the uncooked eggs to flow underneath, until the eggs are just beginning to set, 8 to 9 minutes.
- In the shallow pan over medium-low heat, warm 1 tsp. of olive oil. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on top of the egg mixture. Place the shallow pan upside down on top of the deep pan and flip the frittata into the shallow pan. Cook, covered, until the eggs are set, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and gently flip the frittata onto a platter. Let rest for 5 minutes, then garnish with fresh basil. Cut frittata into 8 slices and serve.
12 g fat
18 g protein
4 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber