1 package Banana leaves
1/4 cup Black beans, cooked and rinsed
1/2 cup Roasted poblano, diced
2 Tablespoons Queso fresco
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper, ground
1 cup Masa
2/3 cup Water
• In a small saucepot add cooked black beans, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
• Allow mixture to cook and absorb flavor, about 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
• In a medium bowl combine masa and water.
• To build the tamales; lay out banana leaves, spread 2 tablespoons of masa mixture in a rectangle shape about half way up on the leaf. Add 1 teaspoon of black beans on one half of masa. On top of black beans place ½ teaspoon of queso fresco. Then add 2 teaspoons of roasted poblano.
• To shape; bring up the edge of the wrapper and fold it over, thus enclosing the filling. Fold in the other side and wrap it around the tamale. Fold the bottom up and the top down. (Almost like wrapping a present.)
• Then use a long thin strip of banana leaf to tie the tamale.
• Steam the tamales in a steamer or using a bamboo steamer for 60 minutes and serve.
Serving Size: 1
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 3 grams