The big game is coming up and we want to know if you’re Super Bowl ready?! Did you know Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest day of food consumption behind Thanksgiving? Enjoy the game and all your favorite football treats with this Super Bowl spread of healthy game day recipes!
BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
4 (4 ounce) Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, trimmed and defatted, cut into strips or chicken tenderloins
¾ cup Corn starch
¾ cup Egg whites, or egg beaters
¾ cup Whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon Onion powder
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
2 cups Frank’s red hot sauce, or your favorite hot sauce
4 stalks Celery, cleaned, trimmed, cut into sticks (Optional)
- Spray baking sheet lightly with pan spray.
- Prepare chicken breasts, or tenders, as directed above.
- In three separate bowls (medium size), place corn starch, egg beaters, and wheat flour in each of their own bowls.
- Season the wheat flour with the onion powder, salt, and garlic powder.
- Dip the chicken tenders in the corn starch first, shake off excess.
- Next, dip corn starch breaded chicken tenders in the egg beaters.
- Finally, dip the corn and egg beater breaded chicken tenders in the whole wheat seasoned flour and shake off excess flour.
- Bake in oven for about 12-15 minutes.
- Then warm hot sauce in sauté pan or microwave.
- Toss fully cooked breaded chicken tenders in the hot sauce and toss until evenly coated with sauce.
- Serve with H3 Ranch or Bleu Cheese Dressing and a few celery sticks.
*Chef’s Note: These chicken tenders can be tossed with sweet and sour sauce, bang bang sauce or even barbeque sauce.
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 4 tenders
FOOTBALL SUGAR COOKIES
1/2 cup Apple butter
1/2 cup Butter, unsalted
1 cup Powdered sugar
1 each Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 cup Whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cup All purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and apple butter until creamy. Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out various footballs-themed shapes and place them on a greased cookie tray.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 17 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Yield: 40 servings
Serving Size: 1 tablespoon uncooked cookie dough
Nutritional info: 60 calories
Fat: 3 grams
CILANTRO LIME GRILLED CHICKEN SKEWERS
4 4oz. Chicken breasts, each breast cut into 6 pc.
1/2 Fresh pineapple, large chunks
16 Wooden skewers, soaked in water
1 Cup Chicken Stock
4 Fresh limes juice and zest
1/4 Cup Fresh chopped cilantro
1 Tsp. Minced garlic
1 Tbl. Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Tsp. Crushed red pepper
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 TSP. GROUND PEPPER
- Combine first 7 ingredients for the marinade, reserve.
- Prepare chicken and pineapple, skewer alternating chicken and pineapple.
- Lay skewers in a single layer cover with marinade wrap and chill, allow marinading for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove skewers from marinade, grill skewers.
Number of Servings: 4
2 cups Zucchini, grated
1/4 cup Red onion, minced
1 tablespoon Parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
1 Each Whole wheat flour tortilla
- In a food processor grate zucchini.
- Place red onions and parsley into the food processor to mince.
- Pour zucchini, onions and parsley into a strainer allowing the excess liquid to drain.
- Once drained, pour mixture into a bowl, add cumin, Tabasco and cheese—combine well.
- Lightly spray one side of the flour tortilla and place oiled side down onto a medium hot skillet.
- Spread 1 cup of zucchini mixture onto 1/2 of the tortilla and fold the other half of the tortilla over the zucchini mixture.
- Cook tortilla on the first side until it is golden brown then flip to the other side and cook until it has also browned.
- When finished browning, place quesadilla on a cutting board and cut into 4 wedges.
*Chef’s Note: Serve with 1/4 cup black bean salsa, 1/2 cup Mexican slaw, or salsa. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 servings
Fat: 3 grams
Sweet Potato Fries
2 each Sweet potatoes,large
1 Tablespoon Rosemary, fresh, chopped
1 Tablespoon Thyme, fresh, chopped
2 teaspoon Olive oil
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes then cut into thick long strips
- Chop fresh herbs and set aside
- In medium size mixing bowl, add oil, herbs, salt and pepper
- Toss chopped sweet potatoes in mixing bowl until they are evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for about 20 minutes. Be sure to check on them every 10 minutes to flip them over/around. This will aide in even browning.
Chef’s Note: These fries pair well with our Chipotle Ranch (recipe below) or H3 Bleu Cheese Dressing.
Serving size: ½ cup
CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING
2 cups Cottage cheese
2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
1 cup Low fat mayonnaise
1 cup Low fat sour cream
1 cup Buttermilk, fat free (optional)
2 Tablespoon Garlic powder
2 Tablespoon Onion powder
¼ teaspoon Sea salt
1 each Chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon Chipotle adobo juice
- Place the cottage cheese and lemon juice in the food processor and mix until smooth.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
Number of Servings: 32
Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
SWEET AND SPICY CHICKEN “WINGS”
4- 4 ounce Chicken Breast
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Egg substitute
1/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 tablespoon Hot sauce, Tabasco
1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 Tablespoon Orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons Cornstarch
2 teaspoons Water, cold
- Cut each chicken breast into 4 pieces to create “wings”.
- Coat the chicken by dipping the chicken into the egg substitute and then tossing it in the cornstarch. Shake excess cornstarch from the chicken “wing” and place on a greased sheet tray.
- Bake coated chicken in oven for 5-7 minutes or until internal temperature has reached 160 degrees. (Once removed from oven, the chicken will carryover cook to 165 degrees.)
- For the sauce, in a small sauce pan mix the honey, hot sauce, soy sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and orange juice concentrate on medium heat.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and cold water, making cornstarch slurry.
- Once the sweet and spicy sauce has come to a simmer, add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Add more or less to adjust thickness.
- Toss the baked chicken with the sauce and enjoy!
*Chef’s Note: This dish is great for football season! You can share with your friends as an appetizer, 1 chicken breast will serve 2 people. Or serve it up with your favorite vegetables or salad for dinner.
Yield: 4 servings
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Protein: 28 grams