Our History and Philosophy
Your success today is rooted in our past. Renowned behavioral psychologist Dr. Peter Miller founded Hilton Head Health in 1976, as an alternative to “fat farms” and “fat camps.” H3 started as a four-week retreat operating out of Hilton Head Island’s Regional Hospital. Over the past several decades Hilton Head Health has evolved to include programs in weight loss and wellness with gourmet cuisine and luxurious spa services.
Upon securing our own location in the Shipyard Plantation, we introduced a huge campus that features everything you need to transform your life. We have a heated pool, a hot tub, wooden saunas, a relaxing courtyard for meditation, the full-service Indigo Spa, our on-site restaurant True Dining, the Healthy Cooking demonstration kitchen, fitness spaces for dancing, cardio, weight training, and suspension training, and more!
Our most recent advances include the building of our very own on-site 30-room Sweetgrass Inn, which opened in 2021, featuring accommodations that vary from comfortable hotel-style rooms to luxurious suites. Additionally, we have released our very own video streaming service called H3 At Home, which is designed to bring our award-winning weight loss services directly to you, wherever you are!
Our Wellness Philosophy
Despite our enormous growth, our core philosophy has never changed. We are committed to providing an all-inclusive weight loss and wellness experience emphasizing the body and mind. No matter your individual health and wellness or weight loss goals our team is personally invested in your success.
An evolving feature of our website, this diverse inventory of the latest facts, theories, and position papers related to health and wellness is continually updated by the experts at Hilton Head Health. For more detailed information, check out our blog.
We’ve included links below to further access the information that you’re interested in. If a specific link is not available, please select a program from the navigation bar for more details.
1. Living well, along with successful weight management, can help alleviate and avoid a multitude of lifestyle-related diseases and chronic conditions including:
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Cardiovascular Disease
- IBS/Crohn’s Disease
2. Living well means making a long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle that is both sustainable and fulfilling.
3. Hilton Head Health has over 40 years of experience in creating a successful lifestyle change and wellness programs.
4. At Hilton Head Health you’ll discover that it’s possible to enjoy a relaxing vacation experience while at the same time making the change to a healthier, longer life.
5. Mindfulness is a way of life at Hilton Head Health. Yoga, Pilates, meditation, and mindful eating are all part of our unique stress management program.
Our Weight Loss Philosophy
1. Hilton Head Health is a pioneer in the field of integrated health. H3 combines personal responsibility and healthy habits along with mainstream and alternative medicine to create a sustainable lifestyle that can lead to a longer and more vital existence.
2. Vitamin therapy can play a role in maintaining proper nutrition during weight loss.
3. Weight loss can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience imbued with a profound sense of accomplishment. The “no pain, no gain” idea is an old modeled philosophy.
4. Getting quality sleep is a vital part of losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle. Proper sleep hygiene will improve your energy level, attention span, and overall recovery.
5. For many people, guided imagery is helpful in starting the process of losing weight. You must be able to imagine living a healthy lifestyle before you can achieve it.
6. Food addiction can be just as damaging as drugs and alcohol. Although the consequences often occur over the long term, they are just as impactful. Obesity is the second leading cause of lifestyle-related death.
7. Weight loss can be the perfect place to restart your life and prevent lifestyle-related “disease disasters” like heart disease and diabetes from severely impacting your future.
8. Weight loss is much easier and more successful when you surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals who share similar issues with food.
9. Structure is the most important part of any weight loss program. To be successful, you need to have a feasible and effective plan and then stick to it.
10. Lifestyle change isn’t easy. Not only must you create new healthy habits, but you must also eliminate your old bad habits.