As 2013 is coming to an end, I would like to highlight Hilton Head Health moments that have made an impact on me, the program and the staff over the past 12 months.
- Devin’s Dash. This was only my 2nd year being a part of this special event, but it brings everyone together for a great cause. Some guests ran or walked their first organized 5k this year and most said they would do it again.
- Cooking Demos. It has been a blast to be standing next to Karla Williams during the Monday Cooking Demonstrations offered in the Healthy Kitchen. It has also been an honor to witness guests try something new for the first time, have an “ah-hah” moment or get excited about our Roasted Butternut Squash Soup—it’s the little things in life, right?
- THAT FEELING after treading. Lets be honest—treading is HARD. Treading is exceptionally hard when you are at a 15 degree incline and expected to hold that for an entire minute before moving it down to a 14 degree incline—yes, we realize this isn’t a huge difference. TO ALL GUESTS: we are inspired by your hard work and determination during that class. Thank you for grinding out the full 45-50 minutes.
- That SPECIAL thermal walk. There was one particular guest (you know who you are) that asked to meet with me. Instead, we went on a thermal walk that turned into a deep and spiritual conversation. It changed everything. It ignited what was REALLY going on with her and how she could let go of things in the past—she realized the only way to move forward was to rely on the very thing that had already forgiven her, loves her and believes in her.
- Halloween. There is nothing better than seeing the staff dress up—Kate Nolan as the Facebook Hashtag, Chef Jen as a Fire Fighter (she seriously kept that up ALL day in the kitchen) or Lisette as the Food Police.
- Michael B. This special guest, whom most of you might know, made a physical transformation that would inspire even a 5 year old who doesn’t even know what transformation means. Check out this video from H3 daily.
- Guests participating in the local Beach Bum Sprint Triathalon. What a wonderful day it was—guests who had been practicing their swim, bike and run actually went to a local event and DOMINATED. Seeing them supporting one another, giving the high fives and battling the heat was amazing. Big goals were hit that morning.
- Witnessing guests achieve something for the first time in years. Touching the toes, walking a full mile without stopping, completing a full body push-up (with correct form) or finishing their first Bootcamp class. Your exciting achievements pump our stuff up—we love every second of it.
- William and the dining staff’s decorations. This year, there are avocado ornaments on the tree. That’s creative right there. I love how the dining room and Healthy Kitchen feel during the holidays—they put a lot of thought, detail and love into making those rooms cozy yet elegant. Thank you!!