by Anthony Triceri
A White Russian is a classic American cocktail made famous in the 1940’s when vodka was largely distributed from Russia. Classically, white Russians are served with equal parts vodka, Kahlua (coffee liquor) and heavy cream; but, here's some Healthy Kitchen tips to save yourself almost 90 calories. Just swap in skim milk for the heavy cream then cut the Kahlua amount in half and replace with brewed coffee. Shake, serve and enjoy!
1 ounce Vanilla Vodka
½ ounce Kahlua Coffee Liquor
½ ounce Brewed Coffee
1 ounce Skim Milk
- Combine all ingredients in a glass shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously!
- Strain and serve over fresh ice in a high ball glass.
- Garnish with a few coffee beans.
- Adding 2 teaspoons of heavy cream will give texture and froth to this beverage for an additional 10 calories.
- A Black Russian is the same tasty beverage excluding the dairy. Serve on the rocks. Shaking is not necessary.
Fat: 1.5 grams