Halloween is less than 3 weeks away; that means it's time for some, tasty and slightly terrifying recipes from our H3 Healthy Kitchen Executive Chef Karla Williams! We'll be sharing a healthy Halloween recipe each Monday in October, so keep your eyes peeled for scary and scrumptious recipes. First up is our Skull Meatloaf, packed with ground beef, quinoa and vegetables! If you're kids don't like veggies, this recipe is sure to change their minds.
2 pounds Beef, ground, lean (90/10)
2 each Eggs
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
½ teaspoon Black pepper, ground
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Tomato paste (divided)
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 tablespoon Oregano, fresh, minced
1 cup Mushrooms
1 cup Carrots, diced
2 tablespoons Garlic cloves
2 cups Onion, diced
½ teaspoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup Quinoa, uncooked
½ cup Red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine quinoa and red wine in a small sauce pot.
- Turn heat on high and bring saucepot to a boil, once the wine begins to boil, turn heat down to low and cover sauce pot with a lid. Allow the quinoa to steam, about 17 minutes. The quinoa will absorb all of the liquid when it is done. Fluff with fork once it is done. Allow mixture to cool.
- In a food processor combine; oregano, mushrooms, carrot, garlic, and onion then processes until minced.
- In a large sauté pan add olive oil and turn on medium heat, add minced vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Sauté mixture for about 8-10 minutes or until the liquid has cooked off. Allow mixture to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine; cooled cooked quinoa, cooled sautéed vegetable mixture and remaining ingredients; beef, eggs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray, then scoop ½ cup portions of meat mixture into muffin pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 20-24 minutes, or until the thermometer registers 160 degree internal temperature.
- While the meatloaf is cooking, in a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste with molasses.
- Once the meatloaf is done, brush the molasses mixture on top of each meatloaf.
Fat: 8 grams