At Hilton Head Health, we love to incorporate planks into the workout routines and fitness classes for our Guests. The plank has become one of the most popular exercises improving multiple elements of physical fitness and your general well-being with different variations that can be done pretty much anywhere. It's a great exercise that you can easily fit into any workout routine!
5 of the many benefits of planks are:
- Develop core muscles (including back, abs, hips and glutes)
- Improve Core strength and stability
- Encourage good posture
- Help prevent back injuries
- Build upper body strength
How to Do a Basic Elbow Plank:
- Get face down on the floor resting on your forearms and knees.
- Push off the floor, raising up off your knees onto your toes and resting mainly on your elbows.
- Contract your abs to keep yourself up and prevent your booty from sticking up.
- Keep your back flat — don't drop it or you'll be defeating the purpose. Picture your body as a long straight board, or plank.
- Hold as long as you can. Aim for 20-30 seconds in the beginning and work your way up to one minute, as you get stronger.