by Healthy Kitchen Assistant Chef Carrie Adams
In the H3 Healthy Kitchen, we realize that sometimes all you need is comfort food. However, the foods we love and the ones that bring us comfort aren't necessarily the best for us. At Hilton Head Health, we value nutrition and recognize that it's a integral part of wellness and weight loss. That's why we take the recipes that you love and turn them into healthy recipes!
With fall just around the corner, it's great to have some healthy comfort food recipes on hand. Like this "No Fuss" H3 Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, it's not only easy to make but it's a hearty and healthy recipe. Feel free to enjoy this healthy comfort food recipe or add some variety to this traditional dish by changing up the vegetables or using a different protein.
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Carrots, diced
½ cup Onion, diced
1 cup Celery, diced
1 teaspoon Thyme, fresh, chopped
3 cups Low-sodium chicken stock
2 cups Red bliss potato, cubed
1/3 cup Flour
1/3 cup Water
2 cups Chicken, diced
1 cup Green peas
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 sheet Puff pastry dough
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare filling, melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, chicken and thyme, cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add broth and potato, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Combine flour and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl and stir with a whisk until smooth. Return potato mixture to a boil. Slowly drizzle flour mixture into potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
- Add peas and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Spoon chicken mixture into an large ramekin or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place the dough on top of the chicken mixture, pressing the dough to the edge of dish. Cut 2 slits in top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Then sit back and enjoy!
Serving Size: About 1 ½ cups
Fat: 5 grams
We hope that you enjoy this Healthy Chicken Pot Pie comfort food recipe!
What's your favorite comfort food to enjoy in the fall?