Berries, fresh 3 pints
Sugar, granulated ½ cup
All-purpose flour 2 ¼ cups
Baking powder 4 tsp.
Sugar, granulated 2 T.
Salt ¼ tsp.
Skim milk 2/3 cup
Butter, unsalted 3 T.
Cream cheese, fat-free 3 T.
Egg 1, large
This recipe provides a great example of how you can re-assess the serving size on recipes and maneuver them to create a more appropriate portion size. Another traditional dessert redefined for your healthy lifestyle!
- Toss the berries with ½ cup of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. (220˚C)
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and the salt.
- With a pastry blender cut in the butter and cream cheese until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk. Make a well in the center of the batter mixture and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined. Make sure to avoid over-mixing.
- On a lightly sprayed sheet pan, drop ¼ cup batter into individual biscuits, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially by placing the sheet pan on a wire rack.
- Slice partially cooled biscuits in half. Top with ½ cup Strawberries.
- Presentation tip: Cut the ½ biscuit into 2 pieces, placing one flat on the plate and angling the other against it. Top with berries and garnish with low fat or sugar free cool whip or whipped topping.
SERVINGS 30; SERVING SIZE ½ each bun and ½ cup berries;
CALORIES 60kcal; FAT 2gm; FIBER 1 gm; CHOLESTEROL 10mg
CARBOHYDRATES 10gm; PROTEIN 2gm; SODIUM 75 mg