We asked Healthy Kitchen Chef Karla to help pack a perfect and healthy picnic. After sifting through hundreds of recipes, she picked out her favorite packable healthy H3 dishes to include in our basket.
Dill and Tomato Salad
2 each Tomato, chopped
1/4 cup Red onion, sliced thin
1 cup Cucumber, sliced thin
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Dill, fresh, chopped
1 teaspoon Basil, fresh, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, fresh herbs, salt and crushed red pepper flakes to make a vinaigrette.
- In a medium sized bowl combine tomato, red onion and cucumber
- Mix vinaigrette with the tomato mixture
Servings: 4; SERVING SIZE 1/2 cup CALORIES 60 calories FAT 3.5 grams SODIUM 250 milligrams CARBOHYDRATE 6 grams FIBER 1 gram PROTEIN: 1 gram
Chicken Salad Sandwich
3 (4 ounces) Chicken breasts, grilled, chopped
2 Tablespoons Hellman's reduced fat mayonnaise
1 each Lemon, juice, fresh
1/4 cup Celery, diced
1 tablespoon Green onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons toasted almonds
1/4 cup Pears, diced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 each whole wheat bread sandwich thins
- Mix chicken breast, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, green onion, almonds, pears, and salt & pepper.
- Place 1/4 cup mixture of chicken salad on each piece of bread and spread out.
Servings: 6; SERVING SIZE 1 open face sandwich CALORIES 190 calories FAT 6 grams SODIUM 300 milligrams CARBOHYDRATE 20 grams FIBER 3 grams PROTEIN 16 grams
Chocolate Whooping Pie
1 1/2 cup All purpose flour
1/3 cup Cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk, fat-free
3/4 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/3 cup Cottage cheese, 1% pureed
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1 each Egg
16 ounces Fat-free Whipped Topping (Cool Whip)
1/2 cup Frozen berries, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with pan spray
- Combine dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Mix.
- Combine wet ingredients; buttermilk, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cottage cheese and egg. Mix
- Slowly add wet mixture into the dry mixture, allowing the dry mixture to just absorbed the wet mixture. Do not over mix.
- Once the mixture has combined (some clumps are fine) scoop 1/2 ounce of mixture onto the greased cookie sheet
- Bake whoopie pies for 11 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- For the filling: combine thawed berries and whipped topping. Stuff each whoopie pie with 1 ounce of filling.
SERVINGS: 15; SERVING SIZE; 1 whoopie pie; CALORIES 120kcal; FAT 1.5 grams; CARBOHYDRATES 17 grams; PROTEIN 3 grams; FIBER 1 gram