Hilton Head Health's Executive Chef Karla put together the perfect Valentine's Day meal. Not only will it help to keep you on track with your wellness journey, but it will also save you a few bucks by making it yourself. Best of all, you don't have to dirty a ton of dishes and it cooks up in less than 30 minutes. Here's to a romantic dinner at home!
Dijon and Pecan Encrusted Salmon
4 ounces Salmon
1 tablespoon Pecans, chopped
½ tablespoon Whole grain Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon Olive oil
1. Bring a sauté pan to medium high heat.
2. Add olive oil.
3. Sear salmon filet on 1 side for 2-3 minutes, or until caramelized.
4. Flip salmon filet.
5. Top filet with Dijon mustard and pecans.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 3 minutes or until desired doneness.
Nutritional Information: Serves: 1, Serving Size: (1) 4 ounce filet, Calories: 240, Fat: 15 grams, Sodium: 200 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 2 grams, Protein: 24 grams, Fiber: 1 grams
Warm Brussel Sprout and Farro Slaw
1 ½ tablespoons Red wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
½ tablespoon Olive oil
3 cups Brussel Sprouts, thinly sliced
1 cup Red apple, thinly sliced
¼ cup Cranberries, dried
½ cup Farro, cooked and cooled
1. Combine red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
2. Bring a sauté pan to medium heat.
3. Add olive oil.
4. Add Brussel sprouts, allow to sauté and caramelize. About 3-5 minutes.
5. Add apples, cranberries, and farro. Allow to warm, 2 minutes.
6. Add sauce. Cook until warmed.
Nutritional Information: Serves: 5, Serving size: ½ cup, Calories: 90, Fat: 2 grams, Sodium: 110 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 16 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Fiber: 3 grams
½ each Lime, sliced
8 each Mint leaves, fresh, torn
¼ cup Raspberries
8 ounces Sparkling water
1 ounce Silver tequila
1. Muddle the limes, mint, and raspberries in the tequila.
2. Add sparkling water, ice, and mix.
Chef’s Note: The berries add a natural sweetness to the cocktail.
Nutritional Information: Serves: 1, Calories: 80, Fat: 0 grams, Sodium: 10 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 3 grams, Protein: 1 gram
Chocolate Covered Fruit
½ cup Chocolate chips, milk chocolate or semi-sweet
2 cups Fresh fruit (Pineapple, orange segments, berries, bananas, pears)
1. Cut fruit into large enough shapes to easily hold it by hand while dipping it in chocolate.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate on 30-45 second intervals until melted. Stirring after each interval. (2 rounds of heating should be enough)
3. Dip fresh fruit in chocolate, place freshly dipped fruit on parchment paper.
4. Place fruit in refrigerator for 30 minutes and chocolate will set.
Chef’s Note: Add more flavor and texture by topping the freshly dipped fruit with toasted coconut or chopped nuts.
Nutritional Information: Serves: 8, Serving Size: ¼ cup chocolate dipped fruit (about 4 pieces), Calories: 80, Fat: 4 grams, Sodium: 0 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 12 grams, Protein: 1 gram, Fiber: 2 grams
Pretzel Granola Bar
¼ cup Honey
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1 tablespoon Coconut oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 scoop Whey protein powder, vanilla
1 cup Old fashion oats
1 cup Pretzels
1 cup Almonds
½ cup Raisins
½ cup Coconut, shredded, unsweetened
1. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. In a small sauce pot combine; honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Heat on medium-low heat until the mixture is melted together, stir occasionally to avoid burning.
3. In a food processor pulse the almonds and pretzels until the mixture is even in size.
4. In a large bowl combine; almond mixture, oats, protein powder, raisins and coconut, pour in melted peanut butter mixture. Mix until evenly combined.
5. Pour mixture into the baking dish and let cool.
6. The granola will firm up best in the refrigerator.
7. Let cool, and cut into 16 bars.
Chef’s Note: This granola bar is a great mid-afternoon snack or breakfast
Nutritional Information: Serves: 16, Serving Size: 1/16th, Calories: 200, Fat: 9 grams, Sodium: 190 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 25 grams, Protein: 6 grams, Fiber: 3 grams
Hilton Head Health's 40th Anniversary Cookbook
Order Hilton Head Health's 40th Anniversary Cookbook for $37.50 plus tax and shipping.
Outside of the US? Please call 800-292-2440 to order.