Are you ready to challenge yourself at the next local race? Fitness Instructor, Casey Walker has given us some tips for training for a 5k. These tips are the perfect way to JumpStart your running and get 5k ready! Remember, injury prevention should always be a number one priority when training, so be sure to do the appropriate stretches and recovery moves.
Follow Casey's 6 Tips and let's get moving!
1. You will need roughly 13-weeks to get into shape for a 5K
2. Plan to have at least 2 rest days a week
3. Strength and flexibility exercises will help with training:
-strength exercises prevents injury
-flexibility- foam rolling
4. Do not forget your core and back exercises
5.ALWAYS INCLUDE WARM-UP AND COOL-DOWN
-warm-up: important to increase circulation to working muscles and heart
-5-10min dynamic warm-up, easy pace waling w/ leg swings, hip openers, etc.
-cool-down: important to gradually bring HR and breathing back to normal
-static stretching, quad, calf, hamstring, etc.
6. Add some run/walk routines to your weekly workouts:
The key is to build up to a steady run. A little bit every day will go a long way. Follow these steps and you will be ready to go come race day! For more workouts and fitness advice visit our website.