Jackfruit has been gaining in popularity since 2014 as a meat alternative for plant-based eaters.
Registered Dietitian, Felicia Spence notes it is Pinterest’s top trending foods and Epicurious has dubbed the fruit the “latest miracle food”. Why all the hype? "It is versatile, it tastes good, and it’s packed with nutrition," says Felicia. Per cup of jackfruit, you get more than 21% of your daily value of potassium, Vitamin C, and B-6 vitamin. Felicia adds, "The plant also provides protein, a good source of fiber and because it is plant based, it has 0g cholesterol and is very low in saturated fat." It may as well be the miracle food of 2017!
Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit and can grow to 35-100 pounds. It grows on trees in tropical climates and takes years to cultivate and bring to the market. It can be found canned and fresh in the United States. "Jackfruit is popular amongst the plant eaters because it mimics pulled pork visually and in texture." In traditional Indian cuisines, it is used in curries and stews. It has a neutral flavor and can take on the flavors of the cook’s choice. It has skyrocketed on Google search trends over the last few years and it does not seem to be slowing down. There are recipes that you can easily find online or, even better, H3 has a great BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwich. Who knew, fruit for meat!
Executive Chef Karla Williams, shows us a great recipe to incorporate Jackfruit as an exciting and tasty meat substitute! Check it out:
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich
2 (14 ounce cans) Jackfruit, young, in water
½ each Onions, chunked or sliced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Brown sugar
1 teaspoon Cumin
¼ teaspoon Cayenne
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 cup Vegetable stock or water
1 cup BBQ Sauce
½ cup Kidney Beans
1 ounce Bourbon
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain, rinse, and core the jackfruit, which involves removing the hard ends.
- Mix jackfruit with all the dry spices.
- Add the olive oil into a sauté pan and sauté the garlic and onions until fragrant. Add the jackfruit and sauté until a little brown. Add the kidney beans, and cook down for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook down until half of the liquid is gone.
- Add the bourbon. When the flames die down, continue cooking for about 5-6 minutes.
- Bake the mixture for about 10 minutes until jackfruit is evenly brown.
- Remove from the oven and shred the jackfruit. Mix in 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and coat the jackfruit evenly. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add another half of barbecue sauce, coating evenly.
Servings: 8 | Serving Size: 4 ounces | Calories: 100 | Fiber 4 grams | Fat: 3 grams | Carbohydrates: 16 grams | Protein: 3 grams | Sodium: 490 milligrams