This 4-week 5K Training Plan will help get you ready for your next fun run, like the local Turkey Trot! We've put together this sample training calendar to get you ready for your next race. Training three days a week with a mix of running and walking will help you increase your endurance for a 5K. Make sure to take as many breaks as you need during your workouts and adjust this calendar to fit your schedule.
Here are some dos and don'ts for your 5K training plan.
- Start off your training with short intervals of running and walking. This is good for you to get introduced into running physically and mentally.
- Dress the part! Make sure you get appropriate running shoes that fit your feet. Your feet will be very happy in your new shoes!
- Add in some “cross training” routines, such as biking, elliptical training, strength training, or aqua aerobics. These will help your body with recovery as well as training.
- Try to avoid training back to back. It’s important to let your muscles recover and rest on your “rest days”. It is very common to feel fatigue after your training sessions, so make sure to listen to your body.
- Try to avoid increasing your mileage too quickly. No more than 10% per week.
- Sleep is very important! Make sure you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep.