Meal prepping can be very intimidating when starting to get in the habit of planning and cooking meals. Lexi, @fatgirlfedup on Instagram, and Danny, @discoveringdanny, learn how to get started with Chef Karla Williams in the Healthy Kitchen with two amazing recipes! Enchilada Casserole and White Bean & Chicken Chili are two great recipes to try and meal prep with your partner or friend or as a wonderful weeknight meal.
|Vegetables for roasting, diced (zucchini, peppers, onions, etc.)|
|1 teaspoon||Olive oil|
|¼ teaspoon||Ground black pepper|
|1 can (15 ounces)||
Corn, rinsed and drained
|1 can (15 ounces)||
Black beans, rinsed and drained
Chicken, cooked, diced/shredded
Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cut vegetables into medium size chunks about the size of a quarter (they will shrink as they cook).
- In medium-size bowl, add oil, salt and pepper.
- Then toss chopped vegetables until they are evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Place vegetables on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Mist a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine; roasted vegetables, corn, black beans, cilantro, and chicken.
- Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the baking dish, and spread until the bottom of the dish is evenly coated. Top with a layer of about 4 tortillas, so that the entire dish is covered.
- Top evenly with ⅓ of the chicken mixture. Repeat with another layer of tortillas and chicken mixture.
- Followed by a final layer of tortillas, chicken mixture, the remaining enchilada sauce, and top with cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan and remove aluminum foil. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes, until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Nutrition: Servings: 9 | Serving size: ⅑ | Calories: 330 | Fat: 10 grams | Sodium: 660 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 35 grams | Protein: 25 grams | Fiber: 3 grams
Make a large batch and freeze it in small containers! It will last in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Also, you can make this in a slow cooker, turn it on low and cook for 4-5 hours.
White Bean and Chicken Chili
|1 pound||Chicken breast, diced|
|2 each||Yellow onion, diced|
|3 each||Bell Peppers, diced|
|3 cups||Zucchini, diced|
|1 each||Jalapeno, minced|
|4 each||Garlic cloves, minced|
|1 can||Green chilies|
|3 cups||Low-sodium chicken stock|
|2 Tablespoons||Fresh oregano, chopped|
|1 can||Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 can||Northern beans, rinsed and drained|
|¼ cup||Cilantro, fresh, torn|
|2 each||Avocado, cubed|
- Preheat a large soup pot on medium-high heat.
- Sauté chicken, onion, peppers, zucchini, jalapeno, and garlic for 7-9 minutes, or until the vegetables become tender.
- Add green chilies, chicken stock, oregano, cumin, and beans. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Garnish with cubed avocado and fresh cilantro leaves.
Nutrition: Servings: 8 | Serving size: 1 ½ ounce | Calories: 310 | Fat: 11 grams | Sodium: 170 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 35 grams | Protein: 20 grams | Fiber: 8 grams