DECONSTRUCTED PESTO FARRO SALAD
1 cup Farro, uncooked
3 cups Water
2 cups Basil, fresh, chiffonade
¼ cup Lemon, fresh juice
2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Olive oil
3 tablespoons Pine nuts
2 tablespoons Parmesan, cheese
- To prepare farro; Combine farro and water in a medium sauce pot bring water to a boil. Once boiling, bring heat to a low and put a lid on top. Allow farro to steam, about 15-17 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed and the farro is al dente.
- Once farro is cooked, allow to cool.
- Combine lemon juice and olive oil in a blender, blend until smooth.
- In a bowl combine, cooked and cooled farro, lemon/olive oil mixture, basil, garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese. Serve cold.
Chef’s Note; Who doesn’t love pesto? This salad is great with many other whole grains. Substitute farro for quinoa, barley, or freekeh.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: ¼ cup | Calories: 150 | Fat: 6 grams | Sodium: 35 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 20 grams | Protein: 3 grams | Fiber: 1 grams
GRILLED CHICKEN PARMESAN
4 each Chicken breasts, 4 ounces each
2 teaspoons Onion powder
2 teaspoons Garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Black pepper, ground
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon Olive oil (coating the grill)
2 ounces Marinara sauce
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat grill.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine chicken breast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Evenly coat chicken breast with seasonings.
- Spray or coat grill with olive oil.
- Place chicken on grill. Cook chicken about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from grill and place on a sheet tray.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of marinara and 1/2 tablespoon of parmesan, ½ tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 9-12 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes and carry over cook to 165 degrees.
Servings: 4 | Calories: 180 calories | Fat: 5 grams | Sodium: 410 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 3 grams | Fiber: 1 gram | Protein: 28 grams
2 ounces Spring Mix
1 teaspoon Pistachios, toasted, chopped
1 teaspoon Goat cheese, crumbled
3 each Strawberries, halved lengthwise
½ ounce Strawberry vinaigrette (see recipe)
- Combine spring mix, and strawberry vinaigrette in a bowl.
- Place sliced strawberries in a circle around the plate.
- Place dressed greens in the center of the circle.
- Top with; pistachios and goat cheese.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 composed salad | Calories: 80 | Fat: 4 grams | Sodium: 80 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 10 grams | Protein: 3 grams | Fiber: 3 grams
1 cup Strawberries, fresh, sliced
½ cup White balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 ½ tablespoon Agave
¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Add everything to the blender and begin to blend.
- Blend until smooth.
Serves: 25 | Serving Size: ½ ounce | Calories: 30 | Fat: 2.5 grams | Protein: 0 grams | Carbohydrates: 2 grams | Sodium: 25 milligrams | Fiber: 0 grams
½ cup Sugar, granulated
6 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
4 Tablespoons Applesauce, unsweetened
2 cups Flour
6 each Eggs, large
1 ½ cups Sugar, granulated
4 teaspoons Lemon Zest, fresh
½ cup Lemon juice, fresh
6 tablespoons Flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer, beat ½ cup sugar, applesauce, and the butter together on a medium speed until creamy.
- On a low speed, slowly add in 2 cups of flour.
- Gently press mixture across the bottom of a greased 16-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat eggs on medium until foamy.
- Add remaining ingredients; sugar, zest, juice, flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until blended.
- Pour mixture over crust and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Set aside, cool and serve.
Serves: 30 | Calories: 130 | Fat: 3.5 grams | Sodium: 50 milligrams