Fresh, bright, and flavor-forward. This sushi bowl brings the flavor of outstanding sushi right to your kitchen. It’s loaded with veggies, complex carbohydrates, and a healthy protein to satisfy your taste buds and your nutrition.
Composed Sushi Bowl
|1 each||Naked Ahi Tuna, see recipe below|
|¼ cup||Brown Sushi Rice, see recipe below|
|¼ cup||Cucumber, julienned|
|¼ cup||Edamame, shelled|
|¼ cup||Carrots, julienned|
|⅓ cup||Cabbage, purple, shaved|
|⅛ each||Avocado, sliced|
|¼ teaspoon||Sesame seeds, black and white|
|1 Tablespoon||Ginger Soy Dressing, see recipe below|
- In a small bowl combine ¼ cup cold Brown Sushi Rice (see recipe below), cabbage, edamame and Ginger Soy Dressing (see recipe below).
- In a large bowl or plate, build your sushi bowl-
- Mound of rice mixture in the center.
- Carrots divided and placed standing up in opposite corners.
- Cucumber divided and placed standing up in opposite corners.
- Top rice with Naked Ahi Tuna (see recipe below).
- Sliced avocado.
- Drizzle with sriracha.
- Finish with sesame seeds.
Nutrition: Servings: 1 | Serving size: 1 composed | Calories: 340 | Fat: 13 grams | Sodium: 550 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 27 grams | Protein: 28 grams | Fiber: 6 grams
Naked Ahi Tuna
|¼ teaspoon||Olive oil|
- Preheat sauté pan to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Season tuna with salt and pepper.
- Sear tuna on both sides until center is rare.
Nutrition: Servings: 1 | Serving size: 1 filet | Calories: 130 | Fat: 5 grams | Sodium: 270 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 0 | Protein: 20 grams | Fiber: 0
Brown Sushi Rice
|3 cups||Brown rice, short grain|
|3 ¼ cups||Water|
|⅓ cup||Red wine vinegar|
- Rinse rice using a strainer until water runs clear. (Really allow the rice time to rinse)
- In a sauce pot add water and rice, bring to a boil.
- Once rice comes to a boil, cover, and turn heat down to low. Let steam for 35-45 minutes. Or until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- In a separate sauce pot combine; rice wine vinegar and sugar cook on medium-low until the sugar has dissolved, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked and the sugar mixture is ready, combine the two. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition: Servings: 24 | Serving size: ¼ cup | Calories: 60 | Fat: 0 | Sodium: 0 | Carbohydrates: 11 grams | Protein: 1 gram | Fiber: 1 gram
Ginger Soy Dressing
|1 Tablespoon||Sesame oil|
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, add sesame oil.
- Add garlic and ginger, sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tamari and agave.
- Allow mixture to simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Let cool, puree in blender until smooth.
Nutrition: Servings: 6 | Serving size: 1 Tablespoon | Calories: 40 | Fat: 2.5 grams | Sodium: 230 milligrams | Carbohydrates: 3 grams | Protein: 1 gram | Fiber: 0