Feel like a little motivational interviewing? Grab paper and a pen and let’s get started…
1. First, ask yourself what you’d really like to accomplish. (Write it down).
2. Funny thing – most of you probably didn’t really write down what you really want. So let’s try again. What causes you to want what you first wrote down? (somewhere in this response is probably the correct answer.
3. Okay, now, what’s preventing you from getting what you want? Be honest. (Make a list.)
4. Circle the things you have control over.
5. What changes could you make to change these barriers and move you towards your goal? (come up with several solutions – this is called brainstorming)
6. Pick 1-3 changes from the list that you think you could start with today or tomorrow.
7. On a Scale of 1-10, how confident are you that you can make this change or changes?
8. Clearly state your goal on paper. Yes… write it down.
9. Below your goal, re-write why you are committing to taking these steps. What’s motivating you?