Tis’ the season: It’s grilling time!April 2, 2016
Eat your fruits and veggiesApril 2, 2016
This huge and bright red melon screams “SUMMER!” As if that fun summertime melon wasn’t enough, watermelon is nutritious too. Watermelons are an excellent source of several vitamins and minerals including;
- Vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is an antioxidant.
- Vitamin C, which helps strengthen immunity, heal wounds, prevent cell damage, promote healthy teeth and gums.
- Vitamin B6, which helps brain function and helps convert protein to energy.
- Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and several types of cancer.
- Potassium, which helps muscle and nerve function, helps maintain the body’s proper electrolyte and acid-base balance, and helps lower the risk of high blood pressure.
Although watermelon is delicious and indulgent on its own, try other ways of enjoying this juicy and sweet fruit all summer long.
- Watermelon and Arugula/Spinach Salad with freshly crumbled feta cheese
- Watermelon Popsicles (H3’s new Summer Program Metabo-Meal option!)
- Watermelon and Kiwi smoothie with fat-free yogurt
- Seared or grilled watermelon drizzled with honey
- Watermelon salsa; Watermelon, mint, red onion, honey, and fresh orange juice.